Thursday, May 23, 2013

Banana Chocolate Chip Mug Cake

As promised, I come bearing another mug cake recipe!


This one was not quite as successful as the first, but still tasty enough to post, in my humble (grumbly tumbly) opinion.


Alright, so it wasn't enough to sustain me through the day, because having eaten it at 10:30am, my stomach was grumbling by 3:00 in the afternoon. Not a snack that can be used to substitute for two meals.

So I had a little snack when I got home.


(The flourless double chocolate cookies came out looking very deflated, and they ended up being too sweet, so I will try to modify the recipe and see if I can perfect it for a future post.)


Anyway, I digress... back to breakfast! When I woke up and ambled into the kitchen groggily, I noticed this rabbit snoozing in the grass outside.


Living the life! Can you smell the mug cake coming into fruition?


Yes, yes, I digress again. On with the recipe, as I'm watching a replay of the Real Madrid/Borussia Dortmund semifinal match at the moment. Hopefully I can finish typing this up before halftime is over!

This recipe is adapted from Kirbie's Cravings.

INGREDIENTS
4 Tbsp AP flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp mashed banana *
3 1/2 Tbsp (fat free) milk
1 Tbsp chocolate chips **

* approx. 1/2 of a banana
** original recipe calls for mini cinnamon chips

Mix together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon). If you want more of a cinnamon taste, either add 1/8 tsp more cinnamon (making it a total of 1/4 tsp cinnamon) or add fewer (or none at all) chocolate chips later on.


Mash 1/2 a banana; the riper the banana, the better. The banana I used wasn't very ripe, so it was slightly harder to smush.


Add the banana to your dry ingredients, and mix. It'll be clumpy, and you don't have to mix it perfectly because it will be easier to mix once you add the milk in.


Add milk in and stir. Make sure the dry ingredients don't clump at the bottom and sides of the mug.


Now you can add in some chocolate chips, and stir. Leave a few to sprinkle on the top. (I forgot to take a picture for this step.)

Microwave for between 1:15 to 2:00 minutes. Mine came out a bit soggy still when I microwaved it for only 1:15, but you'll want to adjust accordingly for your own microwave.


(I had already dumped out the cake onto a plate when I realized it hadn't cooked fully, so it looks a bit messy because I had to transfer it back into the mug to re-microwave.)


Let the mug cake cool for 20-30 minutes inside the mug. In the meantime, you can slice the other half of the banana to decorate. (Or you can just eat it.)


Use a knife to loosen the sides, and transfer the cake to a plate if you'd like.


Eat! (Always. Eating is good.)


Oh, and one more picture of my cookies, now with a serving of ice cream and "I Need My Girl" by The National, before I leave.


Goodbye, Mr./Ms. Bunny!


No comments: