Friday, May 31, 2013

Balsamic Caramelized Peppers

Okay so I didn't technically cook this one. But that was because I was too busy taking photos! I do know how to make this for the future though.

...which isn't saying much, since it's such a simple dish.


But the good thing with making such easy dishes is learning tiny little cooking tips from my mom that I wouldn't otherwise think to do. They seem so obvious when she says them, but I'd probably never know to do these tricks otherwise. Things like sprinkling a tiny pinch of flour in the pan before frying up an egg so that the oil doesn't spit up and splatter everywhere, and wrapping the neck of a vegetable oil bottle with a napkin and rubber band to soak up the stray rivulets of oil.


Or how to properly caramelize veggies - in this case, sweet peppers. Sugar makes for caramelization - duh, but it's like adding salt to a dessert batter. I just don't think about it unless I really think about it.


These balsamic caramelized sweet peppers are really juicy and tasty! Simple flavors are often the best flavors, especially in hot weather like this, when all I really want is to eat something light and then prostrate myself in front of the fan.


INGREDIENTS

- Small sweet peppers and/or bell pepper(s)
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Sugar
- Salt



Wash peppers and remove stems. If using bell peppers, cut into smaller wedges. (Aren't the colors so beautiful?)


Coat a nonstick pan with olive oil (extra virgin, in this case), just a thin layer. Add some salt, and then a little sugar (I didn't measure how much to use, but I'd say maybe 1/2 to 1 tsp - just a little bit, to help with caramelization.


Put in your peppers, and drizzle some more olive oil over them


Cover the lid, and let the peppers cook on high heat for about 5 minutes. When you think these sides of the peppers have cooked long enough, open the lid to check on your peppers' caramelization. (Lots of steam will come out, so be careful!)


Flip over each pepper onto its other side.


Drizzle in some soy sauce and balsamic vinegar (not too much of either), cover the pan back up, and let the peppers cook for about 2 minutes longer.


Serve them up, and enjoy!


Stupidly simple, but definitely delicious!

No comments: