Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Microwaveable Mac & Cheese

I've been debating whether or not to post this recipe. It's not like any of my other 'recipes' are fancy or anything, but I feel like I've kind of let myself down.

Yes. Microwave mac and cheese.


Actually not bad! I still prefer ramen as an easy fix, but I had a little extra cheese to use up, so cheesy pasta it was. (I am the epitome of a college student, it would seem.)

I did make a mess of the microwave while trying to make this in a mug, so don't do that. Unless you actually like sopping up starchy water with a pile of soggy napkins. (I make that sound so appealing, don't I?) The original person who concocted this college-student-friendly dish did warn me in her post. But what did I do? I went, psh! I can handle it! Mug it is!


No. Really, no. One does not battle the microwave gods, armed only with a tiny coffee mug, and win. You see that water in the mug? Ended up all over the microwave plate.

A bowl is good. It's not like I have any dignity to protect at this point, so messing up the mug part the "Instant Mug o' Mac & Cheese in the Microwave" recipe doesn't even put a dent in my armor.

INGREDIENTS
- 1/3 cup pasta *
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Colby Jack cheese

* I used slightly more because farfalle doesn't fit neatly into measuring cups, and it was the only type of pasta I had.
Combine the pasta and water in a medium- to large-sized microwaveable bowl. (The larger the bowl or mug, if you insist, the less likely the water will be to overflow.) Microwave on high for two minutes, then stir. (When taking your bowl/pasta receptacle out of the oven, use paper towels or oven mitts to hold the sides, as the bowl will be extremely hot!)


Repeat this for at least 2 to 4 more minutes. I had to transfer mine from the cup to bowl, and I added a little too much water on the transfer, so I had to microwave the pasta and water mixture for a total of 8 minutes, I believe.


How to know when to stop microwaving: the water will be absorbed by the pasta, and the pasta will be cooked through. (Mine was on the al dente side, but good enough for me.) If the pasta is still too dry, add a tablespoon of water and cook another couple of minutes, depending on your microwave.


Remove from microwave and stir in the milk and cheese. Microwave for another minute or two. (Non-fat milk is more watery, so I had to microwave the pasta for another 4 minutes.)


Stir the cheese into the pasta, and eat! (Don't let it cool for too long, or you will be left with a cheesy mess that has seized up at the bottom and sides of the bowl! Also, why would you wait to eat it?)


I should be more ashamed, but I'm not. I ended up also making another sausage and apple quesadilla because they are so good. Cheesy overload for one, coming right up!


Still not ashamed.

No comments: