Saturday, June 1, 2013

Cinnamon French Toast

I woke up wanting to make some breakfast.


No one was more shocked than I was.

In the summer, I tend to skip breakfast- not something that I recommend, mind you, but I like to be lazy when it's scorching hot outside.


The recipe is adapted from this Fluffy French Toast recipe. I chose this one, despite its recommended 12 bread slices which I then cut down to 4, because some people/commenters on the web have said that this is the fluffiest, most-similar-to restaurant or cafe-style French toast they've had.


I suppose this might be the case, but I kind of dropped the ball on that one by not using thick slices of (slightly stale) white bread... I was seduced by the raisins in the Cinnamon Swirl Raisin Bread!


It was still very delicious and aromatic though not as crispy as I would have expected (except for the tiny little piece of stray bread in the close-up above, which was absolutely perfect). But at this point I'm just nitpicking. Don't get me wrong- it was a very tasty breakfast!

INGREDIENTS
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp AP flour
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp white sugar
(3/8 tsp) pinch of salt
4 slices of bread *

* I used Cinnamon Swirl Raisin Bread, but French or white bread are best.
Measure out the flour into a large bowl that will easily fit a full slice of bread, and slowly whisk in the milk.


Mix in the salt, egg(s), cinnamon, vanilla extract, and sugar until smooth.


(I only used a sprinkle of cinnamon because my mother doesn't particularly like the taste and I couldn't finish off 4 slices on my own so early in the morning. I couldn't taste the cinnamon flavor even with the cinnamon already in the bread, but then again, my sinuses are acting up today due to pesky spring allergies.)


Heat a griddle or (nonstick) pan over medium heat, coated with a very thin layer of oil or cooking spray. Meanwhile, soak bread slices in the the mixture until saturated.


(Sidenote: I remember having to make French toast in middle school in whatever our equivalent of Home Economics was called, and failing miserably. I think I gave the teacher salmonella poisoning. Eep.)


(Might be having a bit too much fun with these gifs.) Anyways, cook each slice of bread on each side until golden brown or until they reach your desired crispiness.


Serve hot and enjoy!


Nom nom noms.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, You have done an excellent job. I'll definitely
digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am sure
they will be benefited from this web site.

Also visit my web site ... pobierz tłumaczeniami